Jurors Hear Keefe D Identify His Nephew As The Person Who Fired At Tupac Shakur
Interviews & Statements

Jurors Hear Keefe D Identify His Nephew As The Person Who Fired At Tupac Shakur

Jurors in the Tupac Shakur murder trial heard a recorded 2008 police interview on Thursday in which defendant Duane "Keffe D" Davis told detectives that his nephew Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson was the person who fired the fatal shots at the rapper in Las Vegas in 1996. The audio, played in Clark County District Court on August 20, represents one of the prosecution's most significant pieces of evidence as the decades-old case finally goes to trial.

What The Recording Contains

The 2008 interview captures Davis walking investigators through the events of September 7, 1996, the night Tupac was hit multiple times in a drive-by near the Las Vegas Strip. In the recording, Davis identifies Anderson as the triggerman in the white Cadillac that pulled alongside the BMW carrying Tupac and Death Row Records founder Suge Knight. Tupac was critically wounded and died six days later on September 13.

The interview was a proffer session, a legal arrangement in which detectives told Davis his statements could not be used against him in exchange for his cooperation. The session took place on December 18, 2008, according to court records cited by The Grio.

Why The Recording Is Admissible

Prosecutors have argued that the proffer protection did not amount to full immunity and that Davis himself made the information usable by repeating the same details publicly in media interviews and in his 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend. By voluntarily disclosing the information outside the protected setting, the prosecution contends he waived whatever shield the original agreement provided.

The defense has challenged this interpretation, but the court allowed the recording to be played for jurors, a ruling that gives prosecutors a direct account from the defendant naming the alleged shooter.

Who Was Orlando Anderson

Orlando Anderson was Davis's nephew and an alleged member of the Southside Compton Crips. He was involved in a physical altercation with a member of Tupac's entourage at the MGM Grand hotel earlier on the night of the incident, an encounter that prosecutors allege motivated the retaliatory drive-by hours later.

Anderson was never charged in connection with Tupac's death. He was killed in an unrelated incident in 1998 at the age of 23. His death meant the alleged triggerman could never face trial, leaving Davis as the surviving defendant prosecutors could charge with orchestrating the killing.

Where The Trial Stands

Davis faces one count of murder with a deadly weapon. He has pleaded not guilty to orchestrating the 1996 killing. The trial is taking place nearly 30 years after the incident, making it one of the longest gaps between a high-profile murder and a criminal trial in American history.

The defense has not yet presented its case. The trial in Clark County, Nevada is expected to continue for several more weeks with additional witnesses and forensic evidence still to be introduced. The prosecution is building its case around Davis's own words, both from the 2008 proffer session and from his subsequent public statements about the night Tupac was killed.

The story was initially reported by the Associated Press.

Related Articles

Singer Melanie Fiona Warns Fans Not To Confuse Artist’s TV Appearances With Wealth ‘They Paid To Be There’

By Olivia1 min · Aug 21

A$AP Rocky Exposes Who Ruined His Virgil Friendship

By Olivia1 min · Aug 6

Blueface’s Son Reportedly Wonders If His Dad Is Back In Jail After A Month Without Seeing Him

By Emma1 min · Aug 21

Megan Thee Stallion Faces New Legal Challenge Over Cameraman Claims

By James1 min · Aug 9

Deen The Great Charged With Felony Robbery After Miami Yacht Dispute

By James1 min · Aug 1

Nolan Wells' Mom Files Subpoenas Demanding Answers

By James1 min · Jul 30